Research Commercialisation Open Programme 2019
Monday 9 September – Friday 13 September 2019
This five-day course of lectures, workshops and visits in Cambridge, UK is aimed at those from anywhere in the world who wish to understand the basics of how new ideas and research results are commercialised at the University of Cambridge and in the wider Cambridge Cluster.
The course is of particular relevance to university technology transfer staff, academic entrepreneurs, government advisors and policymakers developing knowledge-based economies wishing to spin-out or out-license new technologies or deliver consultancy based on university expertise and knowledge from research.
Training sessions are delivered by experienced trainers and practitioners with direct experience of research commercialisation, raising finance and developing knowledge-based ventures.
Apply now – places are strictly limited to 20 delegates and early registration is recommended. Please note the deadline for applications is 12 July 2019.
For further information, download the brochure or read on below.
What does the course cover?
The key learning objectives are to:
- develop a broad understanding of research commercialisation practices in the UK
- understand how to evaluate and pursue the most appropriate research commercialisation route
- learn techniques for negotiating and structuring technology out-licensing agreements
- learn the principles behind successfully financing and developing knowledge-based ventures
The course offers a mixture of plenary and parallel sessions covering such topics as:
- principles of research commercialisation
- researching the market for new innovations
- innovation evaluation and valuation
- the Spin-out versus Licence decision
- technology out-licensing
- negotiation skills
- creating and developing a new knowledge-based venture
- developing a commercialisation strategy
- building the team
- raising finance
- delivering consultancy services
In order for participants to gain the most from the course, attendance is limited to a maximum of 20 delegates.
Course dates, location and fee
The course will start at 9am on Monday 9 September 2019 and end at 5pm on Friday 13 September 2019.
The course will mainly be held on the University of Cambridge’s West Cambridge campus, with some sessions delivered elsewhere in Cambridge.
The course fee is £2,750 (plus VAT where applicable) per delegate. This includes:
- all course sessions
- lunches and refreshments
- a welcome reception on the first evening of the course
- a closing dinner on the last evening of the course
- subject to demand and availability, some optional leisure activities
Please note that the course fee does not include transport to and from Cambridge, breakfasts, dinners (except the closing dinner) or transport between accommodation and venues.
How to apply
Once a completed form has been received, the application will be assessed and the applicant informed of the outcome of their application within two weeks of submission. Further information on application criteria, the application process, course fees and cancellation policy can be found here and on the application form.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions regarding the Research Commercialisation Open Programme.